Thursday 23 April 2009

Genius Idea

It's been a while since my last post. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was more than a little disappointed not to make it onto Caroline Taylor's blogroll  but hey, ho onwards and upwards. 

Thing is there are a lot more chair blogs out there than I ever thought there would be and don't even get me started on chair books. There are loads but there's still room for mine so if anyone's reading and fancies giving me a huge advance to travel round furniture shops taking snaps let me know. 

Anyway, I digress so on with this post. I've mentioned before how exciting it is to come across new chairs. Yeah sure, there's the classic thing, the cutting-edge, high end designer thing and as we know about my love of vintage furniture, the retro thing but it's always great to find out about someone coming up with a new idea. 

Which brings me on to this chair which is designed by Robyn Notley found via Glimpse Online (a great new design website) 

The idea, as all the best ones seem to be (and yes I am talking about my idea to start a smoothie and juice bar before they were popular) is simple yet deliciously wonderful. 

Robyn has transformed the humble Lanni chair from Ikea into something that every bespoke-aficionado would be proud to own. 

By making "add-ons"  such as spindled legs, backs and seats from acrylic, Robyn's idea turns a everyone's-got-one chair into the equivalent of a Dior couture dress. 

Ok, so that's not the fairest comparison in the world perhaps, but Robyn's concept does make something pretty ordinary look rather interesting. 

And that, ladies and gentlemen, as with all new (good) design should be applauded. Big round of applause for Miss Notley then!



No comments: