Friday 21 November 2008

Seaside dreaming

Cornwall will always hold a special place in my heart because I spent three, glorious years of my life there while studying for my journalism degree.

It's said (not sure who says all this stuff but you know what I mean) that Cornwall attracts artists and designers because of the light. In fact the place oozes art, from the famous University College Falmouth to Tate St Ives, not to mention all the independent galleries and art shops.

So I was really pleased to see that one of the design companies that impressed me most at 100% Design, was MARK Product of Cornwall, not just because I loved their simple and sure to be future classic designs but also because they're based in Penryn, just down the road from where I studied at Falmouth.

My favourite is this Net chair by Sam Johnson, mostly because its been inspired by fishing nets left to dry in the sun.

With so much furniture being designed and made in Italy or trendy Shoreditch warehouses, it's nice to see a company operating out of sleepy Cornwall.

Viva Kernow!

No comments: