Saturday 11 October 2008

Beautiful Barcelona

Much like I resisted sharing my almost slightly worrying obsession with the Eames lounge chair, it's taken me a while to feature the Barcelona chair.

Perhaps it's because, while I fell in love with it when I first came across it as I started my career in publishing six years ago, it' s kinda become common place in offices, hotels, waiting rooms...what's next, they swap it for those benches at stations?

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is that, for me, it's been kind of diluted.

It was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for the German pavilion at Barcelona's Ibero-American Exposition in 1929 and has been a design cult classic since then.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love one. Which makes me worry slightly what I'm going to do with all these chairs seeing though the dream Richmond mansion is fast becoming just that.

While there are lots of cheaper copies about (which has started a contentious issue amongst the design fraternity) if you want the real deal, head to Knoll who are the official licensee.

My advice, if you do want one, get a real one, otherwise you'll always be looking it slightly disappointingly, like you would a fake Prada handbag.

No comments: